Friday, October 2, 2009

A World Without Internet ...

Yesterday I had an enlightening discussion with my students. The initial discussion was centered around eDistribution and eCommerce and how the Internet enables these processes. After my formal lecture I posed the following to them: "Imagine a world without Internet." I then asked them to select a process or transaction that is done via the web and discuss among themselves the impact of no Internet access.

This is where the enlightenment comes in - most of the students were not mortified at not having Internet access. In fact many of them indicated the world might be a better place without it. They went on to cite the ways in which they could function sans Internet. Once again I am reminded not to stereotype this younger generation and not to assume that since they are children of the Internet that they don't appreciate non-electronic interactions, face-to-face communications and some manual transactions.

To my students I say thank you for enlightening me.

DD

No comments:

Post a Comment