Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Surprise hit 'Paranormal Activity' scares money out of moviegoers

The new movie Paranormal Activity is in the "first-ever major film release demanded by you." Social networks like Twitter and YouTube and word-of-mouth have helped spread the news about this movie, even without a real movie-trailer. This social networking helped this movie become a top 5 hit seller over the weekend and this was done without traditional marketing strategies.

ParanormalMovie.com has also urged fans to demand this movie to come to theaters near you. The site even posted that if the site gained 1 Million fans, it would open up nation wide. YouTube was a major contributor to spreading the word to demand the movie.

This unique marketing campaign has seemed to work and the film is basically selling itself, as stated in the article.

It is unbelievable that a movie so small could become so big just by social networking and media distribution. It is an eye opener to new movie creators that commercials on TV can become old news. Social Media is where people need to turn to because you can access millions of people on Facebook, Twitter, and especially YouTube.

This movie has great ratings and I've heard from my friends that it is one of the scariest movies to date. I will be watching it this weekend.

(This article came from CNN.com/entertainment - 'Surprise hit 'Paranormal Activity' scares money out of moviegoers' - by Lisa Respers France

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say that I am still amazed of how this movie has made its way through social media distribution and social networking. It is an eye opener to see that anything is possible and there is a new way of marketing new movies and other ideas. I have even checked the ParanormalMovie.com before this article was released and I demanded it and it is now playing in several states. I am pretty sure that it is playing nation wide now. Who ever thought that you could sell a movie without a real movie trailer? This was released on word of mouth buzz and social networks like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. This opens the door for other people to do the same, and it can be geared more towards my generation. Everyone has said this movie is actually scary, and there has not been a real scary movie out in a while. As the first movie released demanded by us, that just shows that today's way of distributing is definitely changing, and I am happy to be apart of today's society. Change is happening and it is great to see it through this movie. I am excited to see it, and I will post my views after I watch it. Feel free to post your thoughts if you have or are going to watch it.

    Thanks - Jenn Ariza

    ReplyDelete